The Secret Place - Prayer
Matthew 6:5-13 NIV
“And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.
“This, then, is how you should pray:
“‘Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name, your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread.
And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors.
And lead us not into temptation but deliver us from the evil one."
Core Learning - The Secret place is the foundation of our life with God.
Q - What have been the times you have felt closest to God?
Q - Where are the places you have felt God speak to you the most?
Q - What was it about that moment?
Share the reading of - Mark 1:35, Mark 6:45-46, Luke 5:16, Luke 6:12.
What you do in private is more important that what you do in public.
No one can make you spend time with God in private, no one will know if you do or don’t… God will know...
The Christian life isn’t about all the things we see on stage or anything like that, its all about the state of your heart.
1 Samuel 16:7 NIV
“….The LORD does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart.”
It may not always be easy but it's something to put into our lives now and make it a part of our day, like brushing our teeth or having a shower...
It's in the secret place with God that prepares us for where He is taking us.
We can see all of the secret time David had with God, it's written down in Psalm…
God said this is a man after my own heart.
So many stories we can think of where great people had a great relationship with God in the secret place.
EM Bounds - Quote
'The Church is looking for better methods; God is looking for better men. The Holy Ghost does not flow through methods, but through men. He does not come on machinery, but on men. He does not anoint plans, but men…Men of prayer.'
Exercise or Practice
Talk about how Journalling can impact our lives.
Both in long form and short form having a space and place to write you thoughts and prayers can be powerful.
Prayer of Examen
Do this each night before bed and make it a routine in your life of reflective prayer. Go for a short walk, sit outside. Be in the environment of the world winding down for the day.
- Presence (Become aware of God)
- Gratitude (Reflect on your day and thank God for the things you have in your life)
- Review (Look back through your day and search for where God was working or speaking, if you struggle to notice that its something to keep working on as God is always speaking. We want to be Holy Spirit led every day)
- Repent (Look for where you missed the mark today, ask for forgiveness and strength to overcome this. Identify the areas of your life where you are struggling and ask God for help. If this is the same thing every day then you may want to work on that aspect of your life where you are struggling and you could ask for help and support from a leader who will pray with you and support you)
- Grace (This is where we ask for Gods grace for tomorrow, the things you know are coming up and that you may be anxious about or needs Gods strength for, ask for Gods help for tomorrow)